Located: Basement level of Old Town Hall (access via the Civic Centre Building).
Postal address: Dunedin City Council Archives, Civic Centre, 50 The Octagon
Link to DCC Archives online resources
The Dunedin City Council Archives hold a wide variety of records related to local government in the Dunedin City Council area.
The archives cover a significant period of New Zealand history in the area administered by the Dunedin City Council and its predecessors. The archives include the records of a large number of local authorities ranging from the early Town Boards and District Roads Boards to the Borough and County Councils, and the City Council.
Council Archives are able to visited, preferably by appointment, and group visits may be arranged by contacting the Archivist.
- Reading room where archives are used
- Photocopying and scanning of documents. [Note the Archivist may refuse to copy fragile or oversize documents but digital photography is permitted in these cases]
- Copies of photographs from the collection, these may be copied photographically or scanned
- Email, telephone, or written enquiries asking for specific information from the archives, or for information about the archives, will be answered promptly.
Reference services fees
The first half-hour of the Archivist’s time is free thereafter $50.00 per hour.
Full details are provided in the Reference Service Policy in the related information section.
Some records of interest are:
- Minute books and correspondence of Council’s committees and boards
- Photograph collection
- Building permit records from 1901
- Electoral rolls for local authority elections
- Rates and valuation records
- Departmental Reports – these provide an annual snapshot of Council activity from 1907.
For any research enquiries or to make an appointment please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org