Dunedin Family History Group

Otago and Southland related research

Southland

 

|  Invercargill  | Pukerau Ryal Bush |

 

 

Invercargill

The Invercargill Cemetery Database. The website provides access to more than 55,600 records for the four Invercargill and Bluff cemeteries and the Southland Crematorium. The cemeteries and crematorium are operated by the Council’s Parks Division. Information updated December 2013.

http://www.icc.govt.nz/ServicesA-Z/Cemeteries/CemeterySearch.aspx

Back to Top

 

 

Pukerau Cemetery

pukerau cemetery

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Cemetery Reserve covers seven acres of land. The Cemeteries Management Act of 1877 stated “that no railing, gravestone or monument can be set up or any other inscription made without the written consent of the Trustees of the Pukerau Cemetery”.

The cemetery was opened for burials in 1882 and is located at the end of East Street (the first street on your left when travelling from Balclutha).

The cemetery was transcribed in 1977 and the transcripts cover 1882-1975 with a total of 106 plots and 238 burials. Copies of these transcripts are available on microfiche as part of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists Cemetery Microfiche Collection.

Gore District Council have their cemetery records on-line. As Pukerau falls within the Gore District Council it is therefore possible to search Pukerau cemetery online at

http://www.goredc.govt.nz/applications/Cemeteries/Cemetery_Search.asp

 Surnames found in the cemetery include:

 

NAME
ALLAN
ANDREW
BENSON
BOARD
BOTHERWAY
BOYLE
BROWN
BROWNING
BURROWS
COLLETT
CORRANS
COUPERTHWAITE
CRAIGIE
CRAWFORD
DENNEHY
DUDLY
EASIE
EDWARDS
FLANAGHAN
GARDINER
GLOVER
GREALISH
GREEN
GUNN
GUTHRIE
HAMILTON
HANNAY
HARVEY
HERRON
HEY
HOCKING
IRVINE
ISTED
JOHNSTONE
McCOLL
McCRORIE
McDONALD
McINTOSH
McINTYRE
McKENZIE
McNEE
MARSHALL
MAXTED
MEEKING
MIILAR
MULLINS
MURRAY
MURTAH
NORTON
O’CALLAGHAN
O’HAGAN
OLSEN
ORCHARD
PETRIE
POTTER
PULLAR
PURVIS
REDMAN
ROBB
ROBERTSON
ROSS
SCOTT
SCOULAR
SHARP
SMITH
SPEDEN
STEPHENSON
STEWART
SYTLES
TRAPSKI
TURNER
VALENTINE
VOIGHT
WENNERBECK
WINNERBECK
WHEELER
YOUNG

Back to Top

 

 

 

 

Ryal Bush

Ryal Bush is a farming locality between the Makarewa and Oreti Rivers in Southland. It is located 19 kilometres north of Invercargill.

Ryal Bush is a farming locality between the Makarewa and Oreti Rivers in Southland. It is located 19 kilometres north of Invercargill.

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts] published in 1905 gives a wonderful snapshot of what the area was like at the turn of the twentieth century. It reads:

“Ryal Bush is a rural district, ten miles from Invercargill by railway, and twelve miles by road. It is in the Wallacetown riding of the county of Southland, and in the electoral district of Awarua. The population, at the census of 1901, was 218. The whole countryside, in the early days of the settlement, was one dense bush, of which many pretty patches still remain, to remind the old pioneers what the country was like when they first saw it. The main road from Invercargill to Winton passes through Ryal Bush, and also the Invercargill-Kingston line of railway. Seven miles further on, is the borough town of Winton, which is also connected by an excellent cycling road, which passes through the fertile district of Forest Hill. The district is supposed to have taken its name from an early settler named Ryal.

Ryal Bush has an English church, at which services are held by the vicar of Winton, who is assisted by lay readers. There is an excellent public school, and also a hall, in which Presbyterian church services are held once a fortnight. The district is devoted to agriculture, dairy-farming; and, in addition to moderate-sized farms, there are deferred-payment selections from fifteen to twenty acres. The local railway station stands ninety-two feet above the level of the sea. It is within two miles of the station at Wilson’s crossing; and Branxholme station, on the Invercargill Orepuki line, is also available for settlers in the district.

The Ryal Bush Post Office And Telephone Bureau was established in 1893, and is conducted at the schoolhouse. Mails are received on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in each week, and the outward mails are despatched on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Mr John Officer, headmaster of the public school, acts as postmaster.

The Ryal Bush Public School was established in the early seventies. The building, which is of wood, occupies part of a section of three acres of land, the gift of Mr James Blaikie. There is accommodation for fifty children, and the average attendance is about thirty. There is a good playground, well sheltered by a plantation of trees, and a school residence of six rooms and offices. There is also a public hall erected on the property.

All Saint’s Church, Ryal Bush, is one of the oldest churches in Southland. Its oldest portion was built in 1861, and consecrated by Bishop Harper, of Christchurch, when Southland was part of his diocese. The building, which is of wood and iron, has since been enlarged, and is surrounded by a neatly-kept cemetery, The church has accommodation for one hundred and twenty people, and services are regularly held by the vicar of Winton, who is assisted by a lay reader”. .

WALLACETOWN

Wallacetown is one of the very early settlements in Southland, in fact it was near the site first thought of as being the main town for the province.

It is located on the banks of the Makarewa River, a major tributary of the Oreti River, 15 kilometres north west of Invercargill and four kilometres from Ryal Bush. It is believed it was named after the area of Wallacetown in the Ayr on the shoreline of the First of Clyde.

The area was well served by Cobb & Co Coaches, and later by railways.

The Wallacetown saleyards were established in 1883, and the freezing works in 1884. A school, hotel, post office, Presbyterian Church and blacksmiths served the settlement. The Underwood Milk Preserving Works was established in 1892 by Robert Blair, and then owned by W. T. Murray and Company. The Nestle organisation bought a 55% interest in 1926 and took it over completely in 1938. The works included tin and box making machinery and a butter-making department, but become particularly associated with Highlander Sweetened Condensed Milk. The Nestle factory closed in 1964. .

SCHOOLS

Ryal Bush School has now closed. Its Admission, Progress and Withdrawal (APW) registers 1925-1988 are in the Invercargill Public Library.

Most pupils now attend Wallacetown School which opened in a building erected by the settlers in 1870. The early settlers maintained the school at their own cost, until the Southland Board of Education took the school under its control in 1877. The APW registers for Wallacetown School 1873-1926 are also in the Invercargill Public Library.

The contact details for the Invercargill Public Library is:

Information Services, Invercargill City Libraries, Private Bag 90111, Invercargill

Telephone:  (03) 211 1770  Fax: (03) 211 1438

Email: info@ilibrary.co.nz

Website: www.ilibrary.co.nz

Opening Hours: Monday-Friday 9 am – 8 pm; Saturday 10 am – 1pm and Sunday 1pm – 4 pm.

CEMETERY

There is a private cemetery at Ryal Bush. This cemetery is attached to the All Saint’s Church at Ryal Bush at 263 Ryal Bush Wallacetown Road.

The Ryal Bush headstones have been transcribed from 1866-1970 and are available on microfiche at most libraries (T01.11).

The church records for All Saint’s Church have been deposited into the Hocken Collections in Dunedin. The collection includes a baptismal register (1861-1878), a burial register (1871-1942), a register of service (1932-1977), cemetery records and some photographs.

The surnames of burials in the cemetery include:

ANDREWS

ARBUCKLE

BALDEY

BREESE

BUTLER

BUXTON

COOK

COOMBES

CRAIG

GILMOUR

GOLDSMITH

However many of the original settlers from Ryal Bush were buried in nearby Wallacetown. There is an “Old” cemetery and a “New” cemetery.

Both cemeteries have had their headstones transcribed.

The “Old” cemetery covers 1861-1950 and the “New” cemetery 1871-1971. Both transcripts are on microfiche – “Old” cemetery (T01.152) and the “New” cemetery (T01.14). The new Wallacetown cemetery is at the end of Ballantrae Street (turn off Riverton Road at the shop).

To locate the “Old” cemetery turn off Highway 99 onto Cumnock Street (the last on the left when travelling west) and following it to the intersection with Aloway Street.

Surnames associated with the Old Wallacetown Cemetery 1861-1950 include:

ALLAN

APPS

BAKER

BISSETT

BLAKIE

BLUE

BOYD

BRASS

CROOK

BUCHANAN

CAMERON

CHRISTIE

COOKBURN

COOPER

DEWAR

ELLIOTTE

FINLAYSON

FLEMING

FORTUNE

FRASER

GEDNEY

GIBBONS

GORDON

GORMAN GRAY

GREEN

GRIEVE

HAMILTON

HAY

HOGG

HURLER

INGLIS

JENKINS

JUDGE

LAIDLAW

LAING

LAWRIE

LAWSON

LINDSAY

McCALLUM

McCROSTIE

McDERMID

MacDONALD

McGILLIVRAY

McILWRICK

McINTYRE

McLEAN

McLELLAN

McLEOD

McPHERSON

MABIN (MABEN)

MANN

MILLIGAN

MITCHELL

MOFFAT

MUIR

NICHOLL

NOBLE

O’CONNOR

PATON

PATTERSON

PERKINS

PETERS

PINK

POWELL

RANKIN

RHIND

RIDDLE

ROBERTSON

RONALD

SHAW

SMITH

STEANS

STEEL

STEVENS

STEVENSON

STEWART

STRACHAN

TAIT

TUNNICLIFFE

WALLACE

WATSON

WILLIAMS

WILSON

WOODWARD

YOUNG .

 

 Back to Top